Sunday, November 16, 2008

AWANA Grand Prix

Last weekend was our AWANA Grand Prix! Drake spent several weeks preparing his pinewood derby car for the big event.

The car starts out as a block of wood. Drake and Adam designed a shape and drew it on the car, which Mr. Murray from AWANA then cut with his bandsaw. Here, Drake is sanding the car after it was cut to the shape he wanted.

Daddy had a go at it with the electric sander! Much faster...but noisy!

Nice and smooth! And lookin' pretty cool with the wheels on there. Next, Drake painted it, but you'll just have to imagine the painting/decorating stage, because there are no pictures!

Finally - it's the big day!

Mom and Levi ready to watch Big Bro's race!

The cars starting to line up for the race.

Drake's masterpiece!

...and a cool side view! We got there early, because Drake wanted to be one of the first to pick his number, ensuring he could get the #8. Why #8? The Seahawks car wouldn't be complete without Matt Hasselbeck's number!

Finally, it's Drake's car's turn. Ready to race!

The Seahawk-mobile won its first two heats! Drake was really stoked!

All the kids cheered as each car's owner was announced before each heat. And they watched the races so intently! Drake ended up winning his first two heats, then losing one, winning one, and losing another. It was a double elimination contest, so after losing twice he was out. (The two races he lost were second-place finishes to the kids who ended up taking first and second place. Not too bad for his first year! He was definitely happy about it!)

After the races, everyone enjoyed cake and other goodies.

Here's Drake showing off his car and "AWANA Grand Prix" ribbon after coming home and getting ready for bed. What a fun time!

6 comments:

Twila said...

Wow I can't believe that Drake is now 6 years old! He is a handsome young man. Very blonde just like his daddy. I miss you guys.

Twila

KyrieEleison said...

That looks like so much fun! Good job, Drake! Jeff says "I wish I would've taken that more seriously when I was a kid!" He was in Royal Rangers, which sounds sort of like AWANA, and apparently they had a derby like that also.

That's a pretty sweet-looking car!

Melonie said...

Hmmm...I think Dorla's kids are in Royal Rangers. Maybe she will have something to say about that!

dvans said...

They are doing Royal Rangers this year. :( Ben was sad but they are making Wed. night so much fun that he still loves going. I have not been so faithful to Wed. night or Sunday morning but Ben loves to go so much that he begs so if I am tempted to stay home...his love of learning about God motivates me...how great is that! :)

Very cool car Drake! :)

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO,DRAKE!

Anonymous said...

Hurray to Drake on his Grand Prix victory!! What a cool car Drake (and Daddy)! We're so proud of you!