Monday, November 24, 2008

A tooth and a recipe file

Have you ever noticed that when you focus on doing one thing, everything else seems to suffer? It seems there are a few people who can "do it all"...but I'm not one of them! I haven't been blogging nearly as much lately, but I've been doing some other things. And thinking about blogging. It just hasn't happened! (Hoping to get back into the swing...) So anyway, here's one of those "other things" that I'm excited about: I've learned how to get the video clips off our camcorder, onto the external hard drive, and then burned to a DVD! For a non-techie, this is remarkable! The best part is, I can actually do it all by myself now, without the help of two certain tech-savvy people who taught me the ropes. To date, I have created three different DVDs for friends from the video clips we've taken over the past year and a half. I plan on doing more of them for family members next.

So that has been my major accomplishment of late. Drake, however, has had a major accomplishment of another type - his first lost tooth! This has been the source of much pride and joy in his life over the past week since it fell out. Well, "fell out" is not exactly the way I'd describe it; it was actually more of an extraction if you ask me! He is such a boy! As a child, I always wiggled my loose teeth gently and let them hang on by a thread until it was no longer possible for them to do so. This resulted in little pain and little blood.

Not my son! Nope. This kid had a tooth that was only slightly loose, and I think he decided one evening that it was just time. He pushed that sucker back into his mouth hard, and made it bleed excessively. Then he proceeded to pull it forward and sideways, and over the course of about twenty or thirty minutes, he had the thing in his hand! There is still a deep indented line in his gum (over a week later), and it just doesn't look like the tooth was quite ready to let go yet! It made me a little squeamish at the time, but he certainly is proud of the hole in his mouth!

Here are some pictures for you to enjoy.

Something is missing here! (And yes, this is after the bleeding stopped. I think his mouth was just in shock!)

Calling Grandpa and Grandma with the big news!


And in case you're wondering what the little brother has been up to lately...well, let me tell you, he's a different kid than Drake was at that age! Levi talks a lot less, but makes up for it in, ummm, curiosity. That's what we'll call it. It's the quality that causes a toddler to open cupboards and drawers, try to escape from the house, climb onto the table, put things in the toilet, and the likes. He's so cute and funny, though! We are head-over-heels in love with him.

Here's a look at one of his antics from a couple of weeks back. Apparently I left my recipe file too close to the edge of the table, and, as I'm learning, that makes it fair game. (Remember the light globe?) When things were too quiet for a little while, I came to investigate and found this lovely mess...



...and this guilty face!


So. That was a project to put them all back in order in the file! Anyway, he's a precious "baby" (I can call him that until he's two, right?) and I wouldn't trade him for the world...but oh, my, he keeps me on my toes!

And aren't these guys handsome?

I'll leave you with that shot. I think they're all pretty stinkin' cute! Anyhow, I'll be trying to post a bit more frequently, but we'll see how it goes. Hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving week!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drake,
You look so grown-up with your tooth out! Love you! Gr S.

Sab Mad said...

You are my hero!! I wish I could make some DVD's...The Love has been telling me for years that he is going to do it when he has spare time, but shockingly enough he has NO spare time!

I repeat, You are my hero!!

Ann said...

Happy Thanksgiving with your 3 adorable "men". You are so blessed to have them and to be enjoying them so much. What a great family!

Karisa said...

My teeth are screaming in pain just reading that story! YIKES.

Kristen said...

Yay Drake! Libby is excited to see that you lost your first tooth. Melonie, I have to say that Clara is much more "curious" than Libby ever was, too. I keep trying to make excuses for it...hoping that I just don't have Curious George for a child. I love how you said that you wouldn't trade Levi for anything and that he certainly keeps you on your toes. Too true!

Anonymous said...

Mel and Adam,

LOL that is sooooo funny. Charlie used to do the same thing. He "helped" me with one of my loose tooth once. He tied a string around the tooth and tied the other end to the door knob, wham! Slammed it shut. The string fell off with no tooth..lol He was so disappointed that he went and grabbed dad's pliers. I RAN. Mel your boy's are handsome. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Love Twila

KyrieEleison said...

Great pictures! And that tooth story is funny. Way to go, Drake!