Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Healing at last?

I've been coughing for several weeks, and while the length of this winter's cough doesn't rival last winter's two months, it still seems like way too long. I broke down and went to the doctor last week and was diagnosed with a sinus infection. And as much as I hate antibiotics, I also hate feeling as crummy as I've felt for the past few weeks. So I've been taking them. But I didn't notice much improvement until yesterday, when I talked to a different doctor who prescribed a couple of anti-inflammatories which are supposed to help drain the fluid from my sinuses and speed up the healing process. Wow! The combination seems to be working wonders. So while I'm still having coughing fits occasionally, I'm not nearly as "stuffy" as before, and my face no longer hurts from all the sinus pressure!

And I can smell again. It's a weird phenomenon when you haven't been able to smell for a few weeks and then suddenly you can! It's definitely a good thing (except when changing diapers, changing the litter box, and taking out the trash).

On a much more interesting note, our ladies' Bible study started up again today after a long break for the holidays! This time we're doing a study called The Patriarchs: Encountering the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, by - you guessed it - Beth Moore! It looks like it will include a lot of the very early history of the Jewish people, which I'm really excited to learn more about! The woman who has been leading our studies up until this point is moving out of state, which is really sad. So I had a hard time adjusting to the idea of someone else leading, and frankly, I have been a little intimidated in the past by the one who's taking her place. (Note: it doesn't take much to intimidate me!) But after today, I have to say I'm feeling very comfortable with her. I think I just didn't know her very well. (This happens to me frequently. I have "fear of man" issues.)

So anyway, you might be hearing some more about this study in the weeks to come. I'm looking forward to it!

5 comments:

dvans said...

So glad to hear that you are finally starting to feel better...we can certainly be thankful for medications to use (especially when we don't have to pay for them...a HUGE blessing as they can be so expensive) when we really need them. Many blessings to you Melonie!
Love,
Dorla

Anonymous said...

Yahooo! Smelling again! Except diapers. boo! Well, except that it's good, because when you can't smell the foul odors, your poor pumpkin gets diaper rash because he's in his diapers too long because you can't smell the badness because you don't know! LOL (Well at least that's what happened to me!)

Melonie said...

Just a mom,
Yes, that's totally what has happened here too. There have been a lot of days where I've wondered how long he's been walking around with poop in his diaper - my older son or husband will walk in the door and inform me that something smells terrible. OOPS!

Jenn C said...

Glad to hear that the meds are working and you are back to feeling normal again. I hope your new bible class goes well, it sounds very interesting. Have a good day off tomorrow. Is daddy home too? I'm going crazy with this 4 day weekend!! AAHH!! :)

Sab Mad said...

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your bible study. I've heard that it's awesome!