I had the distinct pleasure of watching my boys play together last night. It was rough, "boy" play, and so heartwarming! Levi calls Drake "Buddy" now - we think he's trying to say "Brother" and that's how it comes out. So he was running and Drake was chasing and catching him, carrying him over to the couch and flopping him up onto it - over and over and over - amidst squeals of "Buddy!" and peals of laughter. What a joy they are!
Drake went back to school this week, and "Buddy" was a constant topic of conversation for Levi and me yesterday. Levi would approach me, asking, "Buddy?" and nodding his head with his eyebrows raised, as if hoping I could somehow produce Drake from behind a chair or something. I would remind him that Drake got on the bus this morning, and the bus took him to school (a place Levi has been many times). That would satisfy him for a few minutes, and then it would begin all over again!
This week will be a little stressful for our family. Adam and I have severely nasty coughs, and there's a lot going on for us. I may be able to elaborate at a later date. But anyway, I am taking the time now to be truly thankful for my caring husband and my two precious children, and to renew my mind to the idea that I am only the steward of these children. They do not belong to me, but to the Lord. Raising them is the most important and difficult thing I will ever do, but they are not mine. Our family rests in the hands of God; may He shape us as He wills.
I will hold on to these sweet moments of little-boyhood and never forget them.
6 comments:
Carter has, just this past week, started joing in on that rough 'boy' play with his brothers too. It's so much fun to watch. I get a little concerned sometimes that he might get hurt but that's what they love & usually hugs and kisses will take care of the owies! I am moody this week and Carl pointed out how thankful he is for 5 boys instead of 5 girls. Yesterday Carter said "gouchy, you're gouchy!" It made me smile...he has heard me say that about myself!
Ahh, sweet. Your Levi sounds so much like my Luke, and they are just a few months apart in age. Luke calls his big brother "brother", but it sounds like "budder". Yes we moms should count our blessings of getting to take care of our kids while they are young and need us! It's challenging, isn't it, but such a blessing! Thanks for sharing your sweeties with us. :-) Happy New Year!
Love the 'Buddy' part! Drake's gonna end up being an old man named Buddy one day! That's how nicknames get started and stick. :-) Sweet post. Hope that your week goes as good as can be.
My son was "Bubba" to his little sister. We still sometimes call him that. Love those beginning words!
Your blog always makes me smile Melonie; you find joy in mommyhood with the ups as well as downs, and knowing who those little guys really belong to is the best attitude a momma can have.
Love, Susie
Love this whole post! Brothers are really an amazing thing. I remember those beginning days with Luke & Caleb. It only gets better...
Post a Comment