Saturday, March 14, 2009

Schooling and misc. updates

I haven't talked about our schooling dilemma since I first brought it up at the beginning of February. We actually made a decision not too long after that, but it took awhile to get all the family notified. (I sound like a newspaper reporting a death, don't I?)

Anyway, not long after that post, we made the decision to homeschool next year. Originally, the decision felt more like the lesser of two evils, but since that time, we've actually become pretty excited about it! We're really looking forward to the opportunity to teach our own children! But, instead of the peaceful feeling of closure I was expecting, well...now we've got a lot more decisions coming up regarding exactly how we're going to do this thing! As many of you are aware (probably moreso than I was a couple of months ago), there are a lot of different methods or "schools of thought" about the process of home education - and even the purpose for it. Then beyond that, there is a giant sea of curriculum choices to wade through.

But, it's actually kinda fun! We're getting a pretty good idea of the basic approach we're planning to take, and starting to narrow down curriculum options. I have been wisely advised that one of the most important qualities in homeschooling is the ability to be flexible - if something just isn't working, try something else! I will try to take that to heart as we begin this journey.

Drake will finish out the year at his current elementary school, and we'll officially begin our homeschool in the fall. But we've already started working on some reading curriculum at home that's more specific to our own approach, and plan to do the same with handwriting before the year is out. We hope to continue both of those throughout the summer, and then begin the rest of the subjects in August. Drake also wants to learn to play the piano "for real" - so that's another summertime aspiration, to begin some official piano lessons (from me, to start with).

So those are our plans...but I must keep that flexibility thing in mind. (It's all subject to change!) I just wanted to give an update on what's been going on in the "schooling" arena, since I left you all hanging.

And I want to put this out there right now, too, since I'm thinking about it: I refuse to become a "snobby" homeschooler. I have been frustrated and hurt in the past, as a public school mommy, by certain homeschoolers who have implied that their choice was superior to mine, or that I somehow care less about my children than they do. I vow to never act that way. I do not believe that homeschooling is right for everyone. I do not believe that the way we do decide to do anything at our house is the only "right" way. I want to be a defender of anyone who has labored over their schooling options for their children (and of those who don't really have options), no matter what decision they make. Each individual and each family has a unique purpose and mission and place in the body of Christ and in reaching the world.

Okay, on a little lighter note! These some other needed updates, since I've been such a bad blogger lately:
  • Baseball practice has started for Drake, and he's loving it! I'll try to post some pictures of that soon.
  • Levi had his 24-month appointment (finally) and he has been officially approved a healthy two-year-old...he doesn't have to go back for another check-up until he's three! This is really a blessing for us, as he's been in to the clinic for check-ups every one to three months since he was about nine months old, because of slow weight gain and slower-than-average crawling/walking. But he is progressing at his own "normal"- and he is perfect just the way God made him!
  • Drake's AWANA Games were today (kinda like AWANA Olympics or something), and it was a lot of fun to watch. Drake's group placed second, and he was very excited about it! Unfortunately, I forgot our camera. But I was able to borrow a friend's camera for a picture of all the kids at the end, so I'm happy about that...even though I tripped and fell on this weird lip around the gym floor when I was trying to take the picture! It was very graceful, let me tell you. I was glad the borrowed camera survived the fall!
  • Ummmm...I think that's it. My sweet Levi is waking up from his nap now, so I'm signing off. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

9 comments:

Soli Deo Gloria said...

We’re so encouraged to hear your candid, thoughtful explanation of where you are on this issue. It’s helpful to hear how others have thought through this – and you’re evidently putting a lot of thought and prayer into it.

Here’s a way-too-long (but narrowed down!) list of some of our favorite resources that have helped and continue to help us in our educational and family discipleship choices.

You mentioned influence – this is one of the most significant reasons we have chosen home schooling, and influence has informed many other decisions we’ve made while raising our kids as well – like involvement in other activities, friends we’ll spend time with, etc.

Probably one of the best books I’ve ever read is The Marketing of Evil, by David Kupelian. It’s about how culture has been shaped in a number of particular areas in the last 50-100 years. Influence is a primary goal of marketers, obviously. There is a chapter on education as well, but the whole books is not all about education. Your discussion of influence is why I think this book might resonate with you, challenge you, and solidify your resolve to undertake the sacrifice and challege of educating your children at home.

Two other books that we like:
- Family Driven Faith, by Voddie Baucham. Again, not primarily about home schooling, but home schooling fits under the umbrella of family discipleship and training, which is the theme of this excellent book. We’ve heard/seen Voddie Baucham speak and we’re thankful for his influence on our lives.
- Home Schooling: The Right Choice : An Academic, Historical, Practical, and Legal Perspective, by Chris Klicka. I’m still in this book, but so far it’s excellent. But in addition, we’ve also heard/seen Chris Klicka speak. He’s really devoted to his family, and he knows so much about home schooling and especially legal issues.

Next if you’re the listening type rather than the reading type, we went to a home educators conference last year and there are recordings of each session. Here is a link to the site where each seminar from that conference is posted (http://www.best-christian-conferences.com/bcc/store/scripts/orderform.asp?id=5938). You can’t download for free, but you can stream online for free. I’m still listening to some of these over and over. Here are a couple of our favorites, which may also resonate with you or others who are doing as much thinking as you about education, discipleship, and options.

- Baucham, Dr. Voddie - Family Discipleship: How to Pass on the Faith One Generation at a Time. Link http://www.best-christian-conferences.com/bcc/store/scripts/prodview.asp?idproduct=4141 or for only the full audio, http://atriumwebservices.com:554/qtmedia/Media/08-CHEC-002.3g2
- Klicka, Chris - The Case for Homeschooling. Link http://www.best-christian-conferences.com/bcc/store/scripts/prodview.asp?idproduct=4019 or for only the full audio, http://atriumwebservices.com:554/qtmedia/Media/08-CHEC-004.3g2
- Baucham, Dr. Voddie - Government Education. Link http://www.best-christian-conferences.com/bcc/store/scripts/prodview.asp?idproduct=4038 or for only the full audio, http://atriumwebservices.com:554/qtmedia/Media/08-CHEC-024.3g2
- Baucham, Dr. Voddie - Education and Worldview. Link http://www.best-christian-conferences.com/bcc/store/scripts/prodview.asp?idproduct=4041 or for only the full audio, http://atriumwebservices.com:554/qtmedia/Media/08-CHEC-029.3g2

Sorry for such a long response, but we’re encouraged and challenged by the thought you’re putting into this, and we hope that some of these may turn out to be helpful for you as you continue this path.

Sab Mad said...

I'm excited for your new adventure!! I have a feeling that you will be an awesome homeschool mom & that your Drake will trive being at home with you!
And I can't imagine you being one of those snobby homeschool moms - you are way too kind, humble, gentle and sensitive! And I appreciate that about you friend!

Red Gate said...

We've had you in our prayers. Congrats on the final decision.

Melonie said...

J & B -

Thank you, thank you, ever so much for your encouragement and for taking the time to share these resources with me. I was pleasantly surprised to see you mention Dr. Voddie Baucham, as his "The Children of Caesar" DVDs (lent to us by some homeschooling friends when we were still in the "deciding" phase) was pretty much the deal-maker for us. After Adam and I watched it, we felt what can really only be described as conviction...at that point, our concerns began to melt away, and became much smaller than the responsibility we felt to teach our children in the ways of the Lord (per Deut. 6), and have the influence on them that we believe God wants us to have. The second DVD in "The Children of Caesar" set mentions the "Family Driven Faith" book - and now that you recommend it as well, I'm even more interested to read it. Thank you, again, for taking the time to share your experiences and knowlege with us!

Melonie

Melonie said...

Sab Mad -

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words! It has been fun having a bloggy friend like you. :)

Melonie

Melonie said...

Red Gate,

Thank you for your prayers!

Melonie

Ann said...

Melonie, I love your attitude, and I admire you so much. I like it that Drake wants to learn piano, too! It's funny, I have a cousin who spent her working life in Pensacola editing textbooks for Christian schools and homeschooling. She's retired, back in Washington now. I always like to look in homeschool textbooks and see if her name is there. I don't know the publisher. I know you'll do well and I'll bet you'll love it, too!

Anonymous said...

I think it is very cool that you have made the decision to homeschool! I don't know what journey you have been on that has led you to this point, but I do thank you for saying that you will not become a snotty homeschool mom. LOL. I do not yet have a child in the public school, but I intend to send him there next year. It's just funny that every time I talk to a homeschooler I get the impression that I am the one getting judged that I am doing the wrong thing. (But maybe it just comes with the territory?) Thank you for being upfront in the non-judgemental role you are taking!

Melonie said...

Just a mom,

I think you will probably find that, yes, being judged comes with the territory! And it's not just about education, but about any meaningful choice we make for our kids. Whether you breastfed your babies or you didn't, you probably felt judged by somebody for your choice. Whether you lean toward "attachment parenting" or a "cry-it-out" approach with infants and toddlers, you were probably criticized by someone who did it differently.

I think homeschoolers are often criticized by (usually) well-meaning family and friends, and tend to band together and "attack" back at the world in a very ungodly way sometimes. It's really unfortunate. I remember how you wrote once about stay-at-home moms and working moms and the argument about "who has it harder" and "who is doing the right thing". The conclusion that was reached, if I remember right, was to stop judging, and to be supportive and encouraging and loving. I wish that homeschoolers, public schoolers and private schoolers could do the same thing. It's just that ugly, human sinful nature coming out when we don't.

So I'll support you and you can support me, and maybe we can set an example of how Christian parents can treat each other with love, even when we choose slightly different paths. :)