Friday, September 12, 2008

Happy, happy birthday to Cherie!

Today, we’ve arrived at the first "biggie" celebration/occasion since the departure of our favorite Alaskans. Cherie’s birthday is today, and mine is tomorrow. For the past several years, we've always enjoyed a shared birthday celebration with the daddies and the kids, and this year it’s just not going to be the same. (Prepare yourselves to hear me lament at Thanksgiving, too!)

Here is a picture taken last November of both our families together (pre-Makenna, of course!) with the self-timer on their camera. We thought it turned out pretty well, even though Levi and Adelyn thought the sand looked much more interesting than the camera!


So I just want to say this:

Cherie, if you’re reading today, I want to wish you the very best year ever. You are truly a once-in-a-lifetime friend. Thank you for all the memories, and thank you for your part in teaching and shaping me. You are strong, intuitive, insightful, encouraging, uplifting, and truly beautiful inside and out. Happy 27th birthday, my special friend!

(And I still haven’t mailed your gift. Levi did try to unwrap it for you yesterday, though!)

4 comments:

Ann said...

Happy Birthday, Melonie! The picture is precious. A favorite true saying of mine is, "Next to the friendship of God, a friend's affection is the greatest treasure." I, too, have friends like that. Bet you do miss them.

Is the sand there really that white?

Melonie said...

Thanks, Ann! I really like your saying; it's very true. Yes, the sand here is really white! Real Estate agents and etc. always say things like "the sugar-white beaches" when referring to our area. And the water looks emerald green, too, and then turns to a deep blue further out in the Gulf. I had never seen anything like it before we moved here - the beaches are really beautiful.

dvans said...

Hi Melonie! I would like to wish you a very happy birthday too! Hope you have a wonderful day filled with many blessings! Love the pic of you and your special friends. It's always so wonderful to have those 'photo memories' as well as the mental ones. It reminded me of how much I liked the one from your Christmas card from the same time and I was wondering if you would mind sending me a digital copy? I would really appreciate it! Thanks!:)

Dave Bond said...

You are going to make me cry!! Thank you for the birthday wishes and sweet, encouraging words. You couldn't have given a better gift! Oh, by the way, Happy Birthday!! :-) Love, Cherie