
Poor little guy. I had my first MOPS meeting of the year today, and when I picked Levi up in the nursery afterwards, I noticed this weird rash on his neck and the side of his face. When we got home, I changed his diaper before nap, and this is what I found. His back looks the same. His arms and legs are fine, though.
I spoke by phone with a Lt. at the clinic this afternoon, and he confirmed my suspicions that this is probably related to the MMR shot that Levi had about two weeks ago. About one in 20 babies breaks out in a rash within the first week or two afterwards. Supposedly, he's not contagious. This didn't make sense to me, so I kept asking questions, and this is how I understand it now: The vaccine is a live vaccine, but it's somehow mutated a bit, or only part of the virus, or something like that...meaning that while it does produce immunity to the intended diseases, when the person accidentally "catches" a disease from the vax, it's really only symptoms of the disease that they've caught, not the actual disease. And it's supposedly not contagious. (I keep saying supposedly. I hope they're right!)
So, not only is Levi a grumpy grouch because he's cutting two new eye-teeth, but he's got these miserable (probably itchy, said the Lt.) spots all over him! Poor little guy.
5 comments:
Poor Levi. Clara broke out in a AWFUL rash...just legs, arms and feet back in July (21 months). It looked like the bumps of a dill pickle! The doctor said it was eczema (?!?) and had us coating her in a prescription steroid cream and aquaphor (nasty...like vaseline). After weeks of going dye free in food and laundry, we have our "normal" little girl back. I still don't know what caused it, and I racked my brain...sunscreen? chlorine? food allergy? bathsoap? Oh, the mental agony us moms go through!
I hope that Levi's is only a reaction and will clear up real soon. Libby got a similar reaction at 12 months from her chickenpox vaccine. It's better knowing the cause of the rash than just accepting a label of "eczema".
Way to be presistent and keep asking questions!
Poor little guy!
No wonder he has been a bit irritable... he may have other "symptoms" as well, but just can't tell you. Did they say how long you can expect him to have the rash?
Take care!
I hope Levi is feeling better by now. We mothers feel right along with our babies, don't we, and that still is true even when they're all grown up! Read my latest blog post for pictures of another kind of spotted baby!
Oh, poor Levi! I hope his rash goes away and he's feeling better soon!
Poor guy! We went through that once, and the doc told us the same thing. In our case though, it got progressively worse and wound up being a severe allergic reaction to an antibiotic. Hope your guy gets better soon!
Post a Comment