Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Monday Blues

Air Force wives, rejoice! Now you can see your handsome hubby in his dress blues once a week! Thanks to Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Schwartz, Mondays are now mandatory "Blues Days" for most career fields, Air Force wide. I guess this doesn't sit well with some people, and there are some career fields where this is not practical, and therefore, it's not required for them. (Can you see Adam in his former life as a heavy equipment operator, driving a loader in his dress blues? Or running that jackhammer?) But as a personnelist, it's perfectly fitting.

I checked, and I don't have any recent pictures of Adam in his blues, but here's one from 2004 (one rank ago!). Yes, it's of terrible quality - again, we don't have a scanner, so I took a picture of a picture in order to get this on here...and it wasn't even in the sunlight. So pardon the dark and grainy quality. But I felt this post needed a visual aid!


There's not a lot about the military life that takes my breath away anymore. I've seen enough emotionally moving ceremonies, been to fancy parties where high-ranking servicemen seemed to be dripping with ribbons and medals from their mess coats. I've seen the convoys, the amazing airshows. I've witnessed plenty of marching formations, and the hairs rarely stand up on the back of my neck anymore when life stops at 5pm each day while the national anthem plays. It's been almost nine years, and what once seemed such an odd and beautiful and even barbaric way of life, has become normal to me, even secure.

But last Monday, I was at the MPF for some reason, and I remember that my breath was taken away, once again, by the sight of all the servicemen and women in their blues, walking in the parking lot and working in the building. It was beautiful to me. Perhaps my sense of beauty has been "warped" slightly by almost a decade of being a military spouse, but I believe many would share my feelings. I know my hubby's mom would have loved it!

So then, I put myself back in my own high school shoes, and thought again about how I would have felt about my life as a military spouse, had I had any inkling. At 17, when I first fell in love with Adam, I could not have made up a story about this life if I'd tried! How much I've learned - about myself, how capable I am when I really need to be; about my husband, how much he is willing to sacrifice for those he loves; about my Lord, how dearly he loves me, and how precious His grace. It's interesting to look back with a smile and see how far the Lord has brought us...and then look forward with excitement to what the future holds!

You never know what will happen next. But I'm counting on getting a good look at my man in uniform before he heads off to work next Monday morning. I can't think of a better way for an Air Force wife to beat the Monday blues!

8 comments:

Red Gate said...

I have to say I am jealous! I LOVE S in his blues and have probably seen it only 6-8 times in our 6 years of marriage. If you have a warped view, then there are at least 2 of us! LOL

PS. I miss the national anthem at HF. Wish they still had that at more bases.

Melonie said...

Okay, I'm curious, Red Gate...I know you recently moved. So did you just move to the HF area, or away from here to another location?

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, I guess being a mother that just gets to see the blues during special occasions, I would have loved to have been with you Melonie. Just your beautiful way of describing... brought tears to my eyes, and yes the thought of the most moving song I know playing at 5 made the hair on MY neck stand up.... I am SOOOO proud of all 4 of you. I love you! Grandma Ann

Kristen said...

You are a precious wife, and a gifted writer. Thanks for such a great post.

dvans said...

I quite enjoy your writing too, Melonie and I agree that you are a gifted writer! I also loved seeing Carl in his blues but that didn't happen too often. He always looked quite yummy to me so I can see why you are excited at the idea of 'Blues Days.' I'm sure it will bring a smile to many military wives! Love the pic of you guys!

Melonie said...

Thanks, Dorla! ;) I SOOO enjoyed talking with you on the phone the other day after such a long time! Have a happy weekend with your men! (Retired AF can still technically wear uniforms... right? But that would probably be about as easy as getting us into prom dresses or something!)

KyrieEleison said...

Ha ha . . . prom dresses! Kind of like bridesmaid's dresses - you wear them like one time and then you feel like you have to keep them, but never wear them again. That's funny!

dvans said...

That IS funny! I laughed when I read the prom dress thing because that is exactly how it would be if Carl tried to put on his uniform again. I think it might be a 'bit' tight! He's content to keep it in the closet and is very happy that he doesn't have to worry about that once a year fitness test so isn't too concerned. I'm so glad he had the pics taken in his blues (alone) when we did the family pic. I love those! It was wonderful to talk with you too, Melonie. I'll have to not wait so long before I call again next time.