
These are supposed to be pita pockets (or "pocket bread" as we affectionately called the yummy ones my mom used to make when I was young).
Hmmm... Mine turned out more like really hard and chewy blobs. With no pocket in the middle.
I did call my mom last night for a little help troubleshooting, and I'll be trying again soon!
The most interesting part of making these was how sticky the dough was. (Mom says it's not supposed to be that way.) Yesterday afternoon, I was trying to knead it after letting it rise for two hours and it was truly the stickiest stuff I've ever had my hands in. Levi took that opportunity to break a glass light globe that I thought was out of his reach. (Don't ask - housing maintenance is coming tomorrow to fix the light in the dining room, and we'd conveniently left the globe off for them, apparently too close to the edge of the table.)
So I hear a smash, followed by another one in quick succession - I think he was beating the globe against the tile - and I'm hollering from the kitchen, "Levi Hunter, what did you just break?!? Hey Drake! Levi broke something glass! Quick, can you drag him away into the living room? No, just DRAG HIM! And DON'T STEP ON THE GLASS!" So I see Drake through the doorway, happy to finally be allowed to drag his brother against his will, lugging the little stinker (who's kicking and screaming) away from all the totally fascinating little glass pieces. Sometimes the excitement never ends.
I washed my hands for probably two full minutes, but hours later, I was still picking off tiny little sticky balls of dough tangled in the little hairs on the back of my hands. That is, after I picked up lots of tiny little shards of glass from under the dining room table and vacuumed thoroughly.
So I really want to try making pita bread again soon, but I'll be sure to time it so the dough is done rising during nap time. There is no glass in Levi's crib.
7 comments:
I also do not have a green thumb or whatever the color would be for cooking. I enjoyed the visual picture of what took place while you were kneading the dough (very funny...so glad no one got hurt though!) Skyler broke one of those glass globes that was off to change a bulb several years ago in Minot and he still remembers it.
I can totally sympathize with all aspects of this story! Cooking and kids don't mix to begin with, and it gets extra lousy when you go through that stress and the food winds up completely unedible! LOL Better luck next time!
Well, at least you can make chicken without wearing rubber gloves! I'm getting better at it - just washing my hands forever after handling it :-) I'm sure the maintenance man was really understanding about the globe being broken too...
You know, isn't it ironic how sometimes as parents we have to ask the older kid to do something we have told them to NOT do before? "Don't tattle on your sister" turns into "Why didn't you tell me she had the Sharpie marker?!" Well, we don't pretend to be perfect parents and we certainly can't prevent all calamities from befalling our families (or belongings!). I just thank God everyday that He's looking out for my kids because half the time I'm not sure I can even handle them!
Amen, sister!
Melonie, your writing is SO interesting and funny! I remember the days of having small children, but barely. You are bringing it back to me with your descriptions of family life! Thanks!
Although my husband has accused me of being a good cook, I run from yeast like an Olympic sprinter. I have no wisdom on your pocket bread...but I know someone who might. Have you kept tabs on Stephanie J at all? She has a blog on which she documents her various bread experiences. That's how I know that not only the air temperature but ALSO the humidity and the barometric pressure all come into play with the rising of the bread. So there. If you're interested in her blog or in contacting her, shoot me an e-mail. :) Better luck next time!
That DOES sound exciting! I'm sorry it didn't turn out though. Now I want to try to make some, because I'm thinking about pocket bread with tuna and sprouts like we used to have when we were little . . . yum!!
Post a Comment