Friday, August 1, 2008

My other hobby (well, one of them)...

...besides blogging, that is! Tonight I've been sewing. A little stress-reliever for me! I finished another fitted diaper that I started last night or the night before, I can't remember. Anyway, it's not for Levi, but for my friend Cherie's daughter. I'm doing a small stash of these cute little ducky/bubble flannel ones for her, and I really like how they're turning out. Cherie bought the fabric - isn't it adorable? I modified (a lot actually) a free pattern I found online, and I think I've finally got it just how I like it. Hopefully they'll fit little Adelyn as well as they fit Levi, my "model." (I just have to add here that before our favorite Alaskans moved in June, Cherie made six, yes six, oh-so-cute newborn fitteds as her first sewing project - well, first in a long time anyway, and they turned out really nice. I wish I had taken a picture of them, but I forgot to.)

So anyway, Cherie and I have both decided we're getting disillusioned with Aplix (the Velcro of the diaper world) for a number of reasons, so I got some plastic snap tape to try as closures for these. I have high hopes for it, as it's very similar to the snap tape in a very durable boughten all-in-one diaper I've been using for a long time. Metal snap tape is just not heavy-duty enough for the rigors of home diaper-washing; we've learned this from experience. The prongs are too short and the snaps rust and fall out. And I don't have a snap press (yet anyway!) to add resin snaps one at a time. So, like I said, I have high hopes for this snap tape.

I don't use fitted diapers myself - well, for Levi! You know what I mean! - but many mamas love them. They are awfully cute, I have to say! Especially when made with print fabric. And functional - hold it all in nicely!

I took some pictures so you can see how they're turning out. Sorry if I'm putting you to sleep. I know that few of my readers are as obsessed with sewing cloth diapers as I am! Probably just one. (Hi Dawn!) So here are the pictures. I'll try and remember to take one of Levi modeling for you tomorrow. They're even cuter on a baby!
Here ya go:

Heidi likes to be near me. Like, all the time. She seemed only slightly irritated that the diaper I was making was ruffling her fur. Certainly not irritated enough to move off my sewing table!


All done! It's a bit stiff now, but just picture it much softer and fluffier after a few washings...


Here's the inside - I "recycled" a really thin, blue prefold (provided by Cherie) for the inner layer. (There's also a pad of 6 layers of flannel and 4 layers of birdseye between the flannel outer and the prefold inner. Yes, these take awhile to dry, but they're very absorbant.)


This is the snap tape that I was talking about...you can kind of see it in this picture. It looks like it will be snug and durable. I guess we'll find out after a few months of wear!

*****

Okay...yes, I know that there have been no pictures of my kiddos for, what, like almost a week?? And many of you read this blog solely for the pictures of the boys. So I'm sorry. My next post won't disappoint you. I promise to post pictures of my children, not just words and/or pictures of diapers! (As beautiful as cloth diapers are.......)

4 comments:

dvans said...

I've been having trouble accessing your blog and a few others, not sure what the problem is but it's very frustrating. Love the diaper...it's very adorable! Even this disposable diaper mom can appreciate that. You are very talented!

Melonie said...

Thanks, Dorla! ;) I finally figured out what the problem was with my blog (I couldn't access it either!). It was SiteMeter. I was reading on the group help threads on Blogger to try to figure out what the heck was going on with it...and it seems that people with SiteMeter installed were all having those problems. So I removed it, and everything is fine now. I noticed Sabrina's blog is the same...I can't access hers either, and she uses SiteMeter too.

dvans said...

:0) Thanks for letting me know...I was wondering if it was my computer. Very much enjoying your blog and pictures!

Sab Mad said...

seriously amazing!