Thursday, August 7, 2008

New Orleans!

This will be quick today. My sister, Crystal, and brother-in-law, Jeff, arrived yesterday and will be here for five days! Yesterday morning, we left here about 3:30am and drove to New Orleans to pick them up at the airport there - about a 4-1/2 hour drive. We got to see a bit of New Orleans with them before heading home, mainly the French Quarter. It was really interesting! We saw Preservation Hall, Bourbon Street, Jackson Square, and (Louis) Armstrong Park, among other things. The kids did very well, considering it was muggy and sweltering hot, and they were extremely bored! Levi rode in his Ergo baby carrier (which we've had about a year and love - highly recommended) and gave no complaints the whole time. Drake walked some, and was carried some, and he did super-well too. We were so blessed!

Crystal, Drake, me, Levi, and Jeff at the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport just after their arrival!



Levi, me, Drake, Crystal, and Jeff in front of the Andrew Jackson Memorial in Jackson Square


Jeff and Crystal at Preservation Hall! It was cool to visit this famous jazz landmark. We were surprised by its humble presentation. The streets in the French Quarter are narrow, and the businesses and dwellings are very small, full of old-fashioned details and charm.


Adam and Drake outside Armstrong Park, checking out the little bananas growing on the banana trees. The leaves were huge and felt sort of like laminated paper!

Drake collects hat pins, and here he's showing off his latest pin from New Orleans! It's the black one in the center (think Saints logo). We were looking at all of his pins yesterday, and he has eight: Smithsonian Museum of Natural History (Wash. D.C.), Niagara Falls, Hershey's Chocolate World, Amish Village, Disneyworld - Magic Kingdom, Disneyworld - Animal Kingdom, Air Force, and now New Orleans. He's pretty proud of his collection!

Aunt Crystal with her nephews.
We're having a great time with Crystal and Jeff. More to come!

4 comments:

Ann said...

Wow! How exciting to get to see Crystal and Jeff! Please say hi to them from us! P.S. I love your diapers. I used to sew a flannel affair that went over regular diapers. They looked real pretty but they still got wet. Yours look really neat!

Anonymous said...

Love the hat pins. What a great idea for a collection! We should have looked for a pin when Drake was in that Bavarian town last January :) Or even in the apple capital :)
Please tell C & J that Calvin and Luther miss them, but it hasn't hurt their appetites.
Love, Mom

Melonie said...

Hi Mom! Yes, I don't know why I didn't think of that while we were there... I guess there's always next time! He needs one from our current state, and ND, also.

And I just realized today that we really should be getting pins for Levi too, because he was really there as well, and there's a good chance he'll want to start a collection like his brother's someday. Well, I guess we can start now!

dvans said...

What fun...I hope you all have a wonderful visit! And I'm sure you won't forget, but take LOTS of pictures to share! Cool pin collection Drake! I used to collect pins too (early in my Air Force career) and it's a great (and fairly inexpensive) way to remember a place you have visited! Good idea to start on Levi's collection now. :)