I've been missing Heidi a lot. If you're not a "cat person," you probably won't understand quite how I'm feeling. I'm not truly a hard-core cat person either; I only really like some cats. Heidi is certainly one of those cats. Adam and I have always said she's the perfect cat - playful sometimes, but more cuddly than anything else. I could hardly ever sit down without her jumping up to claim my lap. I miss that. I can actually type better, but it's lonely - and worse than that, worrisome, not knowing what has happened to her. She has such a personality, and is so laid back and gentle with the kids, even Levi (who made a habit of pulling her hair and tail). She was "my girl." I don't have human girls, but Heidi has a collar with flowers on it because I can't put anything floral on my boys! I was her favorite person, always have been, and she and I used to have "conversations" by meowing back and forth. She could tell when I was upset. She always chose my lap and my side of the bed. We got Heidi before I was pregnant with any of the boys, over 7 years ago! I can't believe she's gone, and I can't believe we made it through almost the entire day yesterday without noticing she was missing. Sometimes she does "lay low" for a good portion of the day, but still...
.
(I notice that I am wavering between present and past tense...the not knowing is the worst.)
.
I pray that she will return! I had a dream just before waking this morning that we found her on a walk outside. Last night between 10pm and midnight I walked around our loop and also the inner loop in our housing area, posting signs on all the banks of mailboxes (there are 22 of them - now I know) and calling for her. Drake, Levi, and I made the same trek again this morning, and added looking and calling in the storm drains. (It's HOT here, even at 8am! Very hot.) I don't know what else we can do. I called the Law Enforcement desk on base, and the Animal Welfare Society which is right near our housing area.
.
The guilt part stinks. I don't remember the last time I gave her much special attention. I spend a lot of time just trying to keep Levi away from her, because he's so darned mean to her, and hence, seeing her lurking near him tends to make me feel slightly irritated and wish she would just go away for awhile, because I know I'm about to have to stop whatever I'm doing and make him be nice to her. This past Saturday morning, Adam was fishing, and I was cuddling with Levi on our bed in the early morning. Heidi was being annoying, walking around, trying to rub up against me, and just causing more stimulus than I was ready for before 7am on a Saturday. I gave her a little push off the bed, and she left the room. It's interactions like this that I can remember happening recently; certainly not the kind of attention she deserves for being the sweet and easy kitty she is and putting up with what she puts up with (mostly this means Levi).
.
I'm just trying not to think about what she's doing now, or what's already happened to her if she's never coming back. Too much loss right now. This is the fourth "loss" in the past couple of months that have, accumulatively, hit me hard. First, our family doctor, who delivered Levi and worked his tail off during my pregnancy to make sure everything was okay and that I got to attempt my VBAC, was just transferred to another base (McChord, actually, for all you Washingtonians!). The last time I saw him was in May, at Levi's 15-month checkup. Then our Bradley (natural childbirth) instructor, who also happens to be the head nurse on the labor and delivery floor where Levi was born, retired from the Air Force and moved away. She is just a sweetheart and has had such a positive and far-reaching effect on our family. Her retirement ceremony was hard for me. Adam couldn't make it. I got to hug her and say goodbye, and then, that was it. It felt so weird. I had someone watching the boys for the ceremony, and I just drove around afterwards on some back roads and cried. I knew what was coming next...and you know, too, if you know me or you've been reading this blog. Our beloved next-door best friends moved away to Alaska. It was sort of surreal. We knew it was coming for months beforehand, and then suddenly it was time. The packers came, the moving truck came, our friends stayed with us in our home for the last week doing all the final stuff with their house and outprocessing, and then they left. It's been empty here. And today I feel empty. I have what I need, my Jesus and my people-family: Adam, Drake, and Levi. But right now most of the little extra joys seem to have gone.
.
I am sorry that I didn't love on Heidi more while we had her. I am sorry that we didn't get to do more with our friends during their last months with us here. I am sorry that things change, children grow up, friends move, people and pets pass away. Loss takes many forms. I was just not ready to lose Heidi yet.
.
What can I expect but to feel disappointment and even emptiness and loneliness sometimes in a world that is not my home? My home is with the Lord. And my Lord is never-changing. Never Changing. When I've just about had it with change and loss, this is a beautiful truth.
.
Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. Matt 10:29
.
(Sorry for the weird paragraph breaks with periods. Blogger was not letting me make any paragraph breaks, so I had to "trick" it with the periods. You don't want to read all that rambling with no paragraph breaks, believe me!)
5 comments:
So sorry you're feeling sad and lonely. I know how hard it is when your very special furry member of the family is missing. I am praying that God will fill you all with His peace and comfort as you wait for her return. Love ya ~ Dorla
We're so sorry about Heidi, and we're still praying for you and Heidi. We appreciate very much seeing your thoughts in writing. It is insightful and helps us to know what exactly to pray for.
Lots of love,
Jeff and Crystal
Hi Melonie. I know you haven't given up yet, and neither have I. Cats have a pretty good survival instinct. But I know a little of what you're feeling. My favorite cat (actually, pet) of all time was Zipper, and I still think of and miss him pretty often. Unfortunately I didn't treat him very well sometimes, and I remember those times much too well. But he was a pretty forgiving cat and I don't think he held it against me. I think Heidi is the same way - she probably has you figured out better than you do, sometimes. I love you.
Dad
Oh, Melonie, I feel the need to reach out and hug you..... Know my love is on it's way. You were there for me, I truely wish I could be there for you!
Just wanted to let you know that I am thinking about you and still praying. Miss you!
Post a Comment